The number of things to consider when buying or building your first home can be overwhelming. Here are a few important things to be aware of:
• research before you shop around
• check your agent is licensed
• check the terms of contract, especially disclosures
• see if the property has any restrictions
• organise building and pest inspections and
• check the contract has a warning statement as its front page and follow its recommendation to seek an independent valuation and legal advice.
Source: Office of Fair Trading
Below, we have compiled a list of resources that can help you become fully informed prior to the buying or building process:
Information about architectural/structural issues to consider
Building Services Authority: www.bsa.qld.gov.au
Building inspection license checks
Fact sheets about the building process
Brisbane City Council: www.brisbane.qld.gov.au
Copies of previous building plans/inspections
Housing Industry Association: www.hia.asn.au
Information about the building industry
Help with choosing a builder
Master Builders Assocation: www.qmba.com.au
Pre-Sale Inspection Booklet to guide your through purchasing a home.
Real Estate Institute of Queensland (REIQ): http://www.reiq.com/steps-to-buying-property
Fact sheets on the purchasing process
The Queensland Government Department of Natural Resources, Mines and Energy:
Property & title searches; valuations.
The Office of Fair Trading: www.fairtrading.qld.gov.au
Listing of common purchase pitfalls.
Fact sheet on key purchase considerations